Saturday, May 14, 2011

Additional Thoughts on the Road to Emmaus


In a recent blog I commented on Lk 24:13-35 which recounts the episode on the road to Emmaus (see here).
Given that this passage was the Gospel reading for this past Sunday, a few of us were discussing the passage earlier this week, and some additional (and interesting) insights which were shared – and since I found them so encouraging, I thought that I’d share them on my blog as well.
1)      Although the women had told the disciples of the resurrection, these two disciples were leaving Jerusalem, the place where Jesus was, for Emmaus. In short, whilst they were not looking for Jesus, He came looking for them (Lk 24:15).

2)      Although Jesus opened up ALL the Scriptures to them, still they did not recognise Him (Lk 24:27). As mentioned in my previous blog, the disciples only recognised the Lord Jesus in the Eucharist. This should at least cause those who hold to Sola Scriptura (and those who deny the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist) to raise their eyebrows.

3)      The Mass follows the same pattern as this passage i.e. the liturgy of the Word (in which the Scriptures are opened to us to show us Christ) is followed by the liturgy of the Eucharist (in which our Lord is revealed to us in a most intimate way).

4)      This passage can be seen as a summary of salvation history. The eyes of Old Testament Israel were veiled under the law; but with the Incarnation (i.e. the Presence) of Christ, the eyes of New Testament Israel have now been opened.

Of course, the depths that can be plummeted in this amazing passage are unfathomable...but I thought I would share this as something to encourage our meditation on the Scriptures. But even more, I hope that it would encourage us to spend more time with our Blessed Lord in Eucharistic Adoration, which for me has often been the most special time of meditation and prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment